
Your guide to Heidelberg Gauteng

#St Ninian's Anglican Church
Heritage Blue Plaque #Nr 31
ST NINIAN'S ANGLICAN CHURCH - Cnr Voortrekker and Marais Streets
What is the story here?
The history of the Anglican Church in Heidelberg can be traced back to the year 1872, when the town was first visited by Bishop Wilkinson of Zululand. “The leading citizen and founder of the town” he wrote “is in favour of the establishment of the English Church here, and has presented a site for the erection of a place of worship”
THE HISTORY OF ST NINIAN’S ANGLICAN CHURCH
EARLY SERVICES AND THE HARMONIUM (1868 - 1875)
Before the formal establishment of an Anglican parish, no official English services were conducted within the district. On 20 July 1868, the Kerk-raad (church council) of the Dutch Reformed Hervormde Kerk passed a historic resolution empowering their own minister, Reverend Nicolaas van Warmelo, to baptise the children of English residents in their native language if requested to do so.
Two years after an initial exploratory visit by Bishop Wilkinson, the Reverend George Sharley - the pioneer who constructed the first English church in Pretoria - recorded a journey to the young town in his personal diary on 7 January 1874:
"Visited Heidelberg... visited McLaren, Pagan, Ueckermann, Redpath, Marais and Laurie with several others... Held divine service at 7.30 p.m. in the school-room. Good attendance and hearty service. The people requested me to try and go over there to conduct services frequently. Oh! For a good, active, willing fellow-worker. The room was prepared by Redpath and Laurie. Miss Ueckermann played the harmonium."
The church archives note that the surviving parish harmonium — a traditional pedal-pump organ that remains in working order—is believed to be the exact instrument played by Miss Ueckermann during that 1874 assembly. Nearly two years later, on 13 November 1875, Reverend Sharley recorded a return visit:
"In the evening held Service. Congregation small, but very attentive, and though unaccustomed to the Church of England service, everyone seemed to take hearty interest, and did his best to join in the responses."
FOUNDATION AND ARCHITECTURAL STRUGGLES (1879 - 1885)
Following his arrival in Pretoria in 1879, the newly appointed Bishop William Bousfield dedicated his very first official regional journey to visiting Heidelberg. Over the subsequent years, the only Anglican sacraments available to the local English community were those administered by the Bishop during his periodic tours. Throughout these visits, Bousfield constantly urged the community to finance a permanent sanctuary. His efforts culminated in July 1882, when he personally laid the foundation stone of the present church building on a plot of land donated for the purpose by town founder Heinrich Ueckermann.
At the regional church Synod convened in Pretoria in 1883, the Reverend Alfred Roberts was formally assigned to the Cathedral staff, mandated to travel a rotating circuit visiting the small chapelries of Heidelberg, Standerton, Middelburg, and Thorndale to provide each with a monthly service. Under the local direction of the appointed churchwardens, Messrs. Graham and Noyce, construction on the stone sanctuary advanced slowly.
Due to a chronic shortage of liquid funds, the outer sandstone shell of the building was not completed until 1885. By the time the structural walls were secured, Reverend Roberts had already been transferred to a new post in Lydenburg. (Local biographical records note that the Reverend Alfred Roberts was the father of Austin Roberts, the celebrated South African ornithologist, and of Noel Roberts, who later returned to serve as the minister of this parish).
During this mid-1880s construction phase, an unattached Anglican priest named Mr Iliff settled permanently in Heidelberg. He opened a private day school for English-speaking children and volunteered to conduct weekly Sunday services inside the incomplete structure. Periodic sacraments were also administered by traveling priests, including the Reverend Charles Clulee and the Reverend C. Maber, the latter of whom was buried in the town after his death; his compromised headstone remains visible inside the Heidelberg Kloof Cemetery.
DEBT RECOVERY AND THE CONSECRATION HELD BY BOUSFIELD (1888 - 1890)
On 1 January 1888, the Reverend Frank Dowling was formally appointed to serve as the very first official resident Rector of Heidelberg. To sustain the parish, he immediately established a localized church day school within the sanctuary walls, while launching a major fundraising campaign to fully liquidate the remaining construction debt.
In his formal address to the diocesan Synod in 1890, the Bishop announced with satisfaction that the Heidelberg parish had successfully cleared its financial obligations, rendering the building free for consecration. However, Bishop Bousfield flatly refused to execute the formal consecration ceremony as long as the sacred sanctuary continued to be utilized as a secular day school.
Once alternative educational accommodation was secured elsewhere in the town, the restriction was lifted. The stone church was officially dedicated on 8 November 1890 under the name of St Ninian, chosen in honour of the historic "Apostle of the Picts" who had constructed the very first stone church in Britain.
THE SANCTUARY WINDOWS AND WARTIME IMPERIAL USE (1896 - 1902)
The interior architecture of St Ninian's is distinguished by several fine stained-glass windows, which carry unique historical narratives:
-
The St Ninian Windows: This installation was originally commissioned from overseas by District Surgeon Dr Edward John Nixon to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. When the shipping crate arrived in Heidelberg, the vestry discovered that the manufacturer had accidentally dispatched the wrong design. Due to time constraints, the parish chose to keep the incorrect window, mounting it on the north wall of the sanctuary. Months later, British freight logs revealed that the original window ordered for Heidelberg had been mistakenly forwarded to China; once it was intercepted and returned to South Africa, it was permanently installed on the south wall of the sanctuary.
-
The St George and the Dragon Window: This highly ornate double-paned window was also coordinated by Dr Nixon. He financed the installation by donating the entirety of the personal military prize money apportioned to him by his fellow officers following field campaigns, augmenting the fund through private subscriptions collected from leading business figures across the town.
-
-
The O’Reilly Window: A separate, premium stained-glass window was commissioned and donated to the parish by the town's senior physician, Dr James O’Reilly.
The parish infrastructure expanded in 1896 with the construction of a permanent stone rectory for the resident minister, the Reverend H.J. Organ. Following the outbreak of the Second Anglo-Boer War in October 1899 and the subsequent British occupation of the town in June 1900, the building was heavily requisitioned by the invading British military garrison, earning widespread local fame as "The Soldiers' Church."
Imperial troops camped in the surrounding district were granted official passes to attend weekly services. The domestic reality of the wartime church was recorded by a British soldier, Private Tucker, who noted in his personal journal on 12 August 1900:
"Sunday evening we were permitted, with a pass signed by the Company Officer, to go to Church in town. I went and quite enjoyed the service. It was like being at home."
Following the declaration of peace, a permanent brass memorial plaque and an accompanying stained-glass window were erected inside the nave by the officers and men of Vallentin’s Heidelberg Volunteers. The installation was dedicated to the memory of their fallen commanding officer, Brevet Major John Maximilian Vallentin, who was killed in action on 4 May 1902 during the Battle of Onverwacht, located 32 kilometres east of Ermelo. Following Vallentin's death, Dr Nixon had assumed command of the counter-insurgency unit.
PARISH EXPANSIONS AND CLUSTER MINISTRIES (1903 - 2021)
Following the cessation of the war, the British administration established a massive centralized training depot for the South African Constabulary immediately outside Heidelberg. The rapid influx of military personnel created an urgent need for an independent community venue to host lectures, social gatherings, and entertainment. In response, the resident Rector, the Reverend C.W. Hawker, directed the construction of a permanent Parish Hall between 1903 and 1904.
From 1912 to 1914, prior to the formal completion of the modern Normal College campus (situated on the grounds currently occupied by the Heidelberg Army Gymnasium), this church hall was leased out to serve as the primary lecture facility for the newly formed Heidelberg Teachers' Training College. A structural stone entrance porch was later added to the main church building, erected as a permanent memorial to honour the extensive pastoral work of the Reverend R.A.H. Urquhart.
In its contemporary era, the parish achieved a major historical milestone with the appointment of the Reverend Colleen Claudette Winter, who made history as the very first female priest ordained to lead the St Ninian's congregation. She initially resided in Nigel, directing a cooperative cluster ministry that linked four separate regional Anglican parishes: St Ninian’s in Heidelberg, Christ the King in Nigel, St Cyprian's in Alra Park, and St Mary the Virgin in Dunnottar. In 2016, the Reverend Votile Mapipa joined the localized cluster, assuming supreme administrative control as the Priest-in-Charge over the four collaborative congregations.
THE REVEREND NOEL ROBERTS BIOGRAPHICAL SUMMARY
The foundational written history of the parish was recorded by the Reverend Noel Roberts, who served as the resident rector of St Ninian's from 1934 to 1938. His detailed family lineage connects directly to the dawn of the British administrative era in the Transvaal:
-
Pioneer Movements: Noel Roberts was born in Pretoria on 14 October 1880, just prior to the outbreak of the First Anglo-Boer War. His father, the Reverend Alfred Roberts (born 27 November 1853 in Oswestry, Shropshire, England), had originally apprenticed as a bootmaker before defying his family's wishes to train as an Anglican missionary, arriving in Pretoria in 1877 to join the Cathedral staff. Alfred married Eida Jacobs (née Fannin), a daughter of the prominent Dublin pioneer family whose brother, Thomas W. Fannin, had immigrated to South Africa aboard the Conway Castle in June 1845 and subsequently surveyed the town grid of Heidelberg before dying of malaria in 1865. Eida had initially traveled to Durban aboard the Flora in 1847, where her family was transported inland to Pietermaritzburg by the pioneer Dick King, later establishing the famous "The Dargle" farm estate along the Umgeni River. Following the death of her first husband in England in 1874, Eida returned to South Africa, accompanying Bishop Bousfield to Pretoria in 1887 to serve as the senior music and art mistress for the Anglican Girls' School.
-
The Lydenburg Frontier: Following their marriage, Alfred and Eida were transferred to the remote frontier parish of Lydenburg in 1885. Sourcing no available railway lines, the family undertook the grueling journey via a traditional ox-wagon. It was during this wilderness childhood that young Noel developed a lifelong passion for natural science, regularly accompanying his father as the priest traveled across the rugged eastern Transvaal to conduct services for the mining communities at Pilgrim's Rest, Mac Mac, and Barberton.
-
The Majuba Wagon Incident: During a long-distance family trek undertaken to visit relatives at the Karkloof Gorge in Natal, the Roberts family bypassed the Drakensberg mountains and elected to camp directly on the slopes of Mount Majuba. Sourcing no bridges across the mountain streams, their transport wagon frequently became bogged down in the mud. While the family was asleep inside the tented wagon box one evening, the unsecured vehicle suddenly broke its brakes and rolled violently down the steep mountain incline, miraculously grinding to a halt before fracturing on the rocks below. Local African laborers who witnessed the nighttime escape attributed the family's survival directly to divine intervention.
Source: Derived entirely from the unpublished historical manuscript "The Story of Heidelberg" (1938) written by Reverend Noel Roberts, supplemented by the parish vestry records and the tombstone registers of the Heidelberg Kloof Cemetery.

















