top of page
471986832_1310531797027946_8912356813075132723_n_edited.jpg

#7 Pretorius Street

Heritage Blue Plaque #Nr 43

7 PRETORIUS STREET

Take me there NOW!.png

What is the story here?

This house was built in the 1920’s. The bricks that were used to build the house came from the Vereeniging Brick and Tile Company. The company was established by Sammy Marks, a well known businessman in the Transvaal at the time. The steel windows and metal pressed ceilings was originated by SCAW Metals. The corrugated iron and roof came from ISCOR Vanderbijl Park. ISCOR was also established by Sammy Marks. The Oregon pine floors were imported from Oregon in the USA.

THE HISTORY OF THE KILIAN ESTATE AND INDUSTRIALIST SAMMY MARKS

THE INDUSTRIAL LEGACY OF SAMMY MARKS (1868 – 1912)

Samuel "Sammy" Marks was born in Lithuania in 1844 and immigrated to South Africa in 1868 at the age of 24. He relocated to Pretoria in 1881, where he established a close personal friendship with ZAR President Paul Kruger.

Marks initially spent his early years in the country peddling jewellery before partnering with his cousin, Isaac Lewis, to form the Lewis & Marks Partnership. The business focused on selling essential equipment and commercial supplies to prospectors and diggers across South Africa's rapidly expanding mining towns.

The enterprise achieved massive success, prompting the duo to expand their corporate interests. They successfully founded and operated a distillery, a canning factory, a glass factory, a brick and tile works, a maize mill, and a pioneering steel works.

The partners also invested heavily in regional mining infrastructure, amassing a great fortune by developing the extensive coal mines that lined the banks of the Vaal River. A pioneer of agricultural modernization, Marks introduced the regional use of steam tractors and progressive farming implements to the highveld, while sponsoring the establishment of commercial flour mills and brickworks in Vereeniging.

For many years, Marks actively planned the construction of a large-scale iron and steel manufacturing plant in the Transvaal, personally visiting Great Britain to inspect industrial steel installations firsthand. His efforts culminated in 1911 when he successfully secured a formal government contract to smelt large quantities of scrap metal. Backed by this contract, he founded the Union Steel Corporation (USCO) in 1912, an enterprise that laid the historical foundation for the South African Iron and Steel Industrial Corporation (ISCOR).

THE KILIAN FAMILY AND THE RESIDENTIAL LINEAGE (2001)

The contemporary residential history of the property connects directly to one of Heidelberg's most celebrated pioneer military figures. The current owner and occupant of the house is the direct great-grandson of Petrus Johannes Justus Daniel Kilian (1850 – 1941), the iconic Voortrekker descendant and Majuba hero who fought with distinction in both the First and Second Anglo-Boer Wars.

The great-grandson has maintained continuous residency at the family home since 2001, preserving the Kilian name within the precinct.

Additional oral history provided by veteran local educator Edmond de la Harpe reveals that the estate also holds ties to the town's early academic and political structures. At one point in its mid-20th-century lineage, the house served as the private residence for the daughter of Senator Theodor Amadeus Heinrich Dönges—the historic original headmaster of the independent Volkskool who later served the country as a Senator.

SOURCES AND CREDITS

  • Primary Historiography: Derived from the property feature article written by journalist Eugene Viljoen, published in the 23 March 2022 edition of the Heidelberg Nigel Heraut.

  • Oral History Archives: Supplemented by the personal historical interview records of Mr Edmond de la Harpe and the biographical registers of the Heidelberg Heritage Association.

bottom of page